Last updated on October 13th, 2020 at 08:24 pm
An easy way to improve the multimedia experience of your computer is with a set of best computer speakers. You might already have speakers built into your computer or into your monitor. But even the good ones don’t sound very good. Usually they are an afterthought rather than carefully engineered. The bad computer speakers rattle and buzz and won’t even last a year.
Think about how much music you listen to. How many videos you watch, and how many games you play on your computer. Upgrading your computer speakers to one of the top rated desktop speakers will bring new meaning to your music. The audio jack on your computer is there for a reason, treat yourself to some good speakers!
The market is so flooded with speakers that shopping for them can make your head spin. Countless brands, models, and specs that most of us don’t even understand make the buying process hard.
That’s where we come in! We’ve done the research and testing, narrowing down the options to a handful of top-notch speakers for computer. Whether it’s a PC, Mac, or a laptop, we covered them all. After reading our list, you’ll know which computer speakers are right for your wants, needs, and your budget.
Here is a list of the top rated and reviewed computer speakers to help you choose the best products for your home office, desktop or laptop.
Best Computer Speakers | Top 9
|Our Rank||Computer Speaker||Power (Watts)||Frequency Response||Price|
|1.||Klipsch ProMedia 2.1||35 watts / channel RMS||31 - 20k Hz||$$|
|2.||KEF Egg||50 watts / channel||80 - 45k Hz||$$$$|
|3.||Aperion Allaire||50 watts / channel||60 - 25k Hz||$$$|
|4.||Logitech Z533||30 watts / channel RMS||55 - 20k Hz||$|
|5.||Edifier e25 Luna Eclipse||37 watts / channel||50 - 20k Hz||$$|
|6.||Polk Hampden||40 watts / channel||50 - 22k Hz||$$$|
|7.||Bose Companion 5||N/A||N/A||$$$$|
|8.||Audioengine A2+||45 watts / channel||20 - 22k Hz||$|
|9.||Harman Kardon Soundsticks III||10 watts / channel||44 - 20k Hz||$|
Who Is This Review For?
It’s pretty simple, this review is for anyone who wants a better audio experience. It’s for anyone who wants richer, fuller music. It’s for anyone who wants clear treble, deep bass, and a full mid-range. It’s for anyone who has settled for subpar audio while watching movies made with incredible sound. It’s for those who want explosive sound from their video games rather than background noise.
This review is to make it easier to navigate the world of computer speakers. It’s an explainer that gives recommendations on which computer speakers to consider. As well as which ones excel in certain categories. If you’ve ever thought about getting a nice pair of computer speakers, but been confused or intimidated by all of the different options, this list will make it easier. If you have a computer and you’re looking for better audio and a better experience, keep reading.
What to Look For
This is where it starts getting complicated, but it’s really not that scary. There are several different types of computer speakers. As soon as you figure out which type is right for you, the shopping process gets much easier. Here are some of the most common types of computer speakers:
2.0 Computer Speakers – These are the most simple kind of computer speakers. It’s two speakers that connect to your computer. That’s it. They’re usually low-cost and offer the highest value.
2.1 Computer Speakers– A step up from simple 2.0 speakers, 2.1 speakers add a subwoofer. A subwoofer is a great addition if bass is important to you. Not only does it make the bass louder and more powerful, it allows the other speakers to take care of highs and mids. This lowers distortion and makes them come across more clearly.
Surround Sound Computer Speakers – A surround system typically consists of five speakers and a subwoofer. They’re also referred to as a 5.1 system. Why would you need five speakers plus a subwoofer? One speaker for each corner, another one for the middle, and a subwoofer for bass. This gives you the most immersive audio experience.
Bluetooth Computer Speakers – Bluetooth computer speakers have quickly become popular. They wirelessly connect to your smartphone or other device to stream music straight to the speakers. They’re more popular now than ever because of a popular smartphones such as the iPhone and Android. Bluetooth speakers are normally compact and portable. But as technology improves Bluetooth is becoming a common feature on big audio systems.
Our list of computer speakers are either 2.0 or 2.1. Some with Bluetooth, and some without. These are speakers that are an addition to your computer, not for a full home-theater. We’ll go over a wide price range to help you find the right speakers for your budget.
HouseholdAudio is a part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates program (and other affiliate programs). This allows us to provide our viewers with free content by adding our affiliate links in the “Price Comparison” sections along with other links in our articles and product pages. It’s what makes our content ‘free’ to YOU. Clicking on one of our “Buy” or other links allows us to earn small fees to keep us writing.. See our Affiliate Disclosure for more info.
Best Car Stereo & Head Units List
1. Best Overall: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Quick Review
Klipsch claims that the ProMedia 2.1 speakers are “The Internet’s Favorite Computer Speaker” because of the high volume of great reviews they’ve received. That’s hard to argue considering the bang for the buck factor on these. The two small speakers pack a powerful punch while the subwoofer gives you booming bass when you need it. Volume and subwoofer levels are both conveniently controlled from the right speaker. Removable grilles let you chose between a smooth, low-key look or a more technical aesthetic. THX certification lets you know that this a serious set of speakers.
- Clarity at All Volume Levels
- Computer Speakers that Can Double as Your Entertainment Center
- Delivers Amazingly Crisp + Clear Sounds at All Ranges
- Subwoofer Generates Deep Authoritative Desk Shaking Lows
- Compatible with other Devices via a Headphone Jack and Mini Plug Input
2. Best Bluetooth: KEF EGG
KEF EGG Quick Review
These slick 2.0 Bluetooth speakers won the “What Hi-Fi? Best Desktop Speakers £200+” award so you know they’re some of the best PC speakers on the market. These are one of the more aesthetically pleasing offerings on our list with their simple, unique, egg-shaped look. They’re available in three colors, frosted blue, gloss black, or pure white. With their wireless, compact design, they’re intended to be some of the best speakers for laptop use. KEF crammed a lot of audio tech into a small package giving you a loud, clear sound from anywhere.
- A complete audio solution combining the supremely accurate definition of KEF’s latest Uni-Q driver with the Bluetooth aptX streaming.
- With an integrated amplifier and DAC, 96kHz/24-bit mini USB input, distortion-free digital speaker connection and optical connection to your TV, it fulfills every requirement for a flexible, compact, high-resolution main sound system.
- KEF’s Multi-award winning ‘sit anywhere’ Uni-Q driver array with its patented ‘tangerine’ waveguide: wide dispersion, fluent detailing, and astonishing clarity.
- Legendary build quality, precision and attention to detail.
- For even more bass extension, you have the option of adding any subwoofer to the mix.
3. Best Volume: Aperion Allaire
Aperion Allaire Quick Review
These Bluetooth 2.0 speakers have gotten a lot of attention. It was the 2014 Audioholics Product of the Year and they received an Editors’ Choice award from Digital Trends. These are intended to not only be computer speakers but speakers you can take anywhere. The design lends itself well to stay on your computer desk. It includes all of the cords you could need to plug it into your computer. You can even use a digital audio output from a TV or computer right into these speakers. The wireless simplicity makes the some of the best speakers for laptop use.
- 2×50 watt Class D amplifier delivers room-filling sound
- Built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX for crystal clear wireless audio clarity
- Multi-purpose connectivity with Optical (PCM) input, analog input and Subwoofer output.
- USB power jack for charging your mobile device while you listen
- 4” woven fiberglass Woofer
- 1” silk dome tweeter
- Wireless remote
- One year warranty
- Threaded inserts for wall mounting
- Free lifetime technical support
4. Best Budget: Logitech Z533
Logitech Z533 Quick Review
Logitech is a trusted name in audio and other computer accessories. They’re known for offering good products at an excellent value. Logitech makes some of the best PC speakers for the money and the Z533 2.1 speaker system is no different. This is the only entry on our list under the $100 mark. This is a great choice if you just want an upgrade to your current computer audio, but aren’t too picky. It has a neat control pad that controls power, volume, bass level, headphone jack, and auxiliary jack. It can support multiple inputs at the same time so you can have it hooked up to both your computer and your television at the same time without having to switch cords when using one or the other. The speakers are loud enough to fill the room and clear enough to sound good at any volume.
- 120W Peak Power, Front-facing Subwoofer – two-inch port tube, with double ended flare
- Wired control pod to control power, volume, and bass, with integrated 3.5mm headphone and Aux jacks
- Stereo RCA, 3.5 mm auxiliary inputs connection
- Compatible with Audio with 3.5 mm or RCA output devices including computer running on any major operating system (Windows, Mac, Chromebooks), Smartphones, Tablets, Televisions, MP3 players, Gaming Consoles: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
5. Best Design: Edifier e25 Luna Eclipse
Edifier e25 Luna Eclipse Quick Review
This pair of 2.0 Bluetooth speakers has a lot of character inside and out. They have a distinct, unique look that’s not quite like anything else on our list. A small, smooth design with a piano finish available in black, white, or red, these will catch your eyes as much as they catch your ears. The smart design has dual passive bass radiators in the middle of the back of each speaker working with the tweeter and active bass driver to create a full, rich sound. They have Bluetooth connectivity and also have an analog auxiliary jack in the back for wired sound. A slim, wireless remote lets you control the speakers from wherever you are in the room. If you’re looking for a real standout, these might be your ticket.
- Bluetooth pairing capability with Bluetooth enabled devices and auxiliary input port for versatile connectivity to external devices
- Touch-sensitive controls for volume, play/pause, previous/next track, and standby and wireless remote for volume and power
- Incorporation of DSP and DRC for enhanced audio performance and distortion control as well as electronic crossover and dedicated power amplifier to each tweeter and bass drivers
- 3” bass driver and 19mm silk dome tweeter in each speaker and dual 2” x 3” passive bass radiators for enhanced bass effect in each speaker
- Combined 74 Watts of power
6. Best Technology: Polk Audio Hampden
Polk Audio Hampden Quick Review
These Polk Hampden 2.0 Bluetooth speakers offer a vintage look with a modern sound. The unique brown and white finish give these speakers a sophisticated look. They look more like nice pieces of furniture rather than audio equipment. It isn’t just for show, these speakers sound as good as they look. As far as aesthetics, these Polks might be the best desktop speakers on the list.
- 4-channel Amplifier
- Each driver and tweeter is driven by its own dedicated amplifier for greater dynamic range and clarity.
- By eliminating passive crossover components, we reduce the distortion, phase shift and other undesirable by-products inherent in such systems.
- Digital Signal Processor (DSP) smooths frequency response and creates a greater bass extension.
- The latest advances in Bluetooth wireless technology with apt-X® to ensure the music on your smartphone or tablet, and other compatible devices, is delivered at near-CD sound quality.
- Polk’s exclusive DJ Stream App enables up to 4 mobile devices to seamlessly build a playlist from songs on mobile devices.
- Polk Hampden loudspeakers use a 1″ soft-dome silk/polymer tweeter and a robust 4-1/2″ mid-woofer with stiff, lightweight composite polypropylene cones.
- Driver and tweeter are housed in a bass-reflex teak veneer enclosure with a downward-firing port. This combination of drivers and enclosure creates a rich, warm sound much like a pair of bookshelf loudspeakers.
- The “laid back” angle aide sends all the sound to your ears.
7. Best Splurge: Bose Companion 5
Bose Companion 5 Quick Review
The Bose Companion 5 is a 2.1 speaker system that sounds like a 5.1 surround system. Unlike most wired speakers, these plug into your computer via USB with no additional software or drivers needed. They come on slim stands to help free up desk space. It’s all controlled through a control pod giving you volume control, single-touch mute, a headphone jack, and the option to connect a second audio source. The amazing clarity and digital 5.1 experience make these some of the best computer speakers on the market.
- Proprietary TrueSpace® surround digital processing circuitry reproduces enveloping sound from just two visible speakers. Engineered for computer speaker listening, it creates a dramatic acoustic environment for games, DVDs, and music.
- Digital 5.1 audio playback brings music, games, movies and other 5.1-encoded material to life with much of the performance you’d expect from a five-speaker system.
- Magnetically shielded satellite speakers prevent monitor interference or damage to magnetic media.
- Proprietary integrated signal processing delivers lifelike performance at almost any volume level.
- Compression circuitry keeps your music clear and undistorted at high volume levels.
- Active electronic equalization balances low, mid and high frequencies for more natural tone and clarity.
8. Best Wired: Audioengine A2+
Audioengine A2+ Quick Review
These A2+ 2.0 speakers are just the right size. They’re big enough to deliver a great sound and small enough to make them some of the best speakers for laptop use. There are a ton of connectivity options, but they’re not Bluetooth. USB is an option for a clear, digital signal all the way through. They come with every cable you could possibly need making connectivity a breeze. They have a nice, simple look available in black, white, or red finishes.
- Excellent sound with elegant simplicity for computer audio.
- Versatile connections, including USB digital audio and subwoofer output
- Designed for your desktop but also sounds great across the room
- Integrated USB DAC delivers Hi-Fi sound straight from the computer.
- Hand-finished wood cabinets. Cables included
9. Best Innovation: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III
Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Quick Review
These 2.1 speakers have the most interesting look out of any of the desktop speakers on this list. The clear plastic housings are a perfect match for the clear sound you’ll hear from them. The two speakers have adjustable angles to hit just the right angle for your desk. The subwoofer faces downward giving you deep, booming bass. The subwoofer is so cool looking you won’t want to hide it under your desk, you’ll want it out in the open for everyone to see. Even the cables look good on these speakers when they easily could have just gone with something cheap and ugly. It’s easy to see that obsessive industrial design went into every last detail of these speakers. On top of all of that, they’re much less expensive than they look.
- Compatible with all devices with a stereo minijack output
- Outstanding bass performance
- Touch volume and mute controls
- Subwoofer volume control
- Angle-adjustable satellites