In this article: We’ll look at some of our best pick floorstanding tower speakers for your home audio and home theater that are on the market today. We’ll provide quick reviews of each of our choices along with pros, cons and some of their key features that make them a great choice.
As an audiophile, you already know that a high quality sound system is essential to make the most out of a film or show in your home theater. Floor standing tower speakers are among the most notable speaker style choices that can bring your entertainment to life, fill your room with rich, full-bodied sound and look good while they do it.
Whether you’re watching a blockbuster movie, streaming your favorite TV show, or cheering on your favorite sports team – any of our best surround sound tower speakers will ensure that you hear every detail in stunning clarity. But with so many options on the market, we know it can be tough to know which speakers are worth your investment. That’s where we come in.
We’ve done the research, and compiled a list of our own top-pick floor standing tower speakers to help you make an informed decision. From power handling and frequency ranges to driver size and material, we’ve considered all the important factors to ensure that you find the perfect speaker for your home theater. So, take a look at our list below and discover the best floor standing tower speakers for your home.
Household Audio’s Top 5 Home Audio Tower Speakers in 2023
Best Overall Floor Standing Tower Speaker
Klipsch RP-8000F II Quick Review
The Klipsch RP-8000F is a flagship tower speaker that stands out in the market with its impressive technology, features, and exceptional performance. With its blend of cutting-edge innovation and classic Klipsch design elements, this speaker has garnered praise from audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts alike.
At the heart of the RP-8000F’s exceptional performance is its Tractrix horn-loaded tweeter. This proprietary technology allows for high-frequency sound waves to be directed with precision, resulting in reduced distortion and enhanced clarity. The horn design also increases efficiency, ensuring that the speaker can produce powerful, detailed sound even with lower power inputs. The tweeter is paired with a pair of 8-inch spun copper Cerametallic woofers that deliver robust bass performance and help create a seamless integration between the low and high frequencies.
One of the standout features of the RP-8000F is its use of Klipsch’s Hybrid Tractrix horn. This unique design combines the benefits of both square and round horn openings, resulting in improved high-frequency response and reduced resonance. The Hybrid Tractrix horn contributes to a natural sound signature that is dynamic and engaging, making it ideal for both music and movie playback.
The RP-8000F boasts a sturdy and aesthetically pleasing cabinet design. Its brushed polymer veneer finish exudes a premium look, complementing various home décor styles. The cabinet’s internal bracing enhances rigidity, reducing unwanted vibrations that could affect sound quality. Additionally, the speaker includes a dual input terminal for bi-amping or bi-wiring options, offering users flexibility in customizing their audio setup.
Another noteworthy aspect of the RP-8000F is its impressive sensitivity, allowing it to deliver robust sound even with lower-powered amplifiers. This makes it suitable for a wide range of home theater setups, accommodating both large and smaller rooms.
In terms of build quality, Klipsch has maintained its reputation for crafting durable and long-lasting speakers. The RP-8000F is no exception, built to withstand years of use while maintaining its performance and aesthetics.
Overall, the Klipsch RP-8000F tower speaker is a top-tier choice for any home theater or audiophile setup. Its advanced technology, including the Tractrix horn-loaded tweeter and Hybrid Tractrix horn, ensures exceptional performance with precise audio reproduction. Combined with its elegant design, build quality, and flexibility, the RP-8000F delivers a remarkable audio experience that is well worth the investment. Whether you’re a discerning music lover or a movie enthusiast, these tower speakers are a testament to Klipsch’s commitment to excellence and innovation in the world of audio reproduction.
|Drivers||1″ Tweeter (1), 8″ Woofers (2)|
|Power Handling (RMS)||150 watts|
|Frequency Response||35 – 25,000 Hz|
- Impressive Performance: The Tractrix horn-loaded tweeter and Hybrid Tractrix horn technology deliver detailed and dynamic sound with reduced distortion.
- Powerful Bass: The pair of 8-inch spun copper Cerametallic woofers provide deep and impactful bass response, enhancing the overall audio experience.
- High Sensitivity: The RP-8000F’s high sensitivity allows it to produce robust sound even with lower-powered amplifiers, making it versatile for various setups.
- Sturdy Build: The speaker’s well-crafted cabinet with internal bracing ensures durability and minimizes unwanted vibrations, maintaining sound quality over time.
- Elegant Design: The brushed polymer veneer finish and classic Klipsch design elements give the RP-8000F a premium and visually appealing look.
- Size and Weight: Due to its tower speaker design, the RP-8000F may be relatively large and heavy, making it less suitable for small spaces or if portability is a concern.
- Price: As a flagship model, the Klipsch RP-8000F is in the higher price range, which might be a consideration for those on a tighter budget.
- Preference for Horn-Loaded Sound: While many enthusiasts appreciate Klipsch’s horn-loaded sound signature, some listeners may prefer a different sound profile, making personal preference a factor.
Best Bang For Your Buck Tower Speaker
ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 Quick Review
The ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 is a standout tower speaker that has garnered acclaim for its impressive technology, features, and exceptional audio performance. Designed by renowned audio engineer Andrew Jones, this speaker is a part of ELAC’s Debut 2.0 series, known for its commitment to delivering high-quality sound at an affordable price point.
At the core of the Debut 2.0 F6.2’s excellent performance is its custom-designed drivers. The speaker features a one-inch cloth dome tweeter that delivers smooth and detailed high frequencies, providing a clear and natural sound signature. The tweeter is coupled with three 6.5-inch Aramid fiber woofers that offer extended bass response with low distortion, resulting in a well-balanced and full-bodied sound.
ELAC has implemented advanced technology to optimize the speaker’s performance. The custom-designed tweeter features a wide-dispersion waveguide, which helps in creating a broad sweet spot and maintaining consistent sound quality even when listening off-axis. This ensures that the F6.2 delivers a captivating audio experience from various listening positions within the room.
The cabinet design of the Debut 2.0 F6.2 is crafted to minimize resonance and enhance audio accuracy. The robust MDF enclosure is internally braced, reducing unwanted vibrations that can degrade sound quality. This attention to build quality ensures that the speaker can handle demanding audio passages with precision while maintaining clarity and coherence.
One of the standout features of the F6.2 is its affordability without compromising on performance. ELAC’s commitment to providing value for money is evident in this speaker, making it an attractive choice for budget-conscious audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts.
The Debut 2.0 F6.2 also offers versatility in terms of placement and integration into different audio setups. Its rear-firing bass port allows for placement flexibility, enabling the speaker to work well even when positioned close to a wall. Additionally, the speaker’s impedance and sensitivity ratings make it relatively easy to drive with a wide range of amplifiers, making it accessible to a broader audience.
In terms of aesthetics, the ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 features a minimalist and modern design that blends seamlessly with various interior styles. Its black ash vinyl finish adds a touch of elegance, making it an appealing addition to any home theater or audio setup.
Overall, the ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 tower speaker offers an impressive combination of technology, features, and affordability. Its custom-designed drivers, wide-dispersion waveguide, and well-built cabinet contribute to its outstanding audio performance. Whether for music or home theater use, the F6.2 excels in delivering a rich and engaging sound that surpasses its price point. For audio enthusiasts seeking a high-value tower speaker that doesn’t compromise on quality, the ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2 stands as a testament to the brand’s commitment to exceptional sound reproduction.
|Model||Debut 2.0 F6.2|
|Drivers||1″ Tweeter (1), 6 1/2″ Woofers (3)|
|Power Handling (RMS)||140 watts|
|Frequency Response||39 – 35,000 Hz|
- Impressive Audio Performance: The custom-designed drivers and wide-dispersion waveguide result in a clear, natural, and well-balanced sound with extended bass response.
- Affordable: The F6.2 offers excellent value for money, providing high-quality audio performance at a relatively affordable price point.
- Versatile Placement: The rear-firing bass port allows for flexible speaker placement, making it suitable for various room setups and configurations.
- Build Quality: The MDF enclosure with internal bracing ensures a sturdy build, reducing unwanted vibrations and maintaining audio accuracy.
- Minimalist Design: The modern and elegant black ash vinyl finish allows the speaker to blend seamlessly with different interior styles.
- Preference for Sound Signature: As with any speaker, personal sound preferences may vary, and some listeners may prefer a different audio profile.
- Power Requirements: While the F6.2 is compatible with a wide range of amplifiers, users with lower-powered systems might not fully utilize its capabilities.
- Limited Color Options: Some users may desire additional color choices to better match their home decor.
Best Tower Speaker Structure:
KEF R7 Quick Review
The KEF R7 is an exceptional tower speaker that has earned widespread acclaim for its advanced technology, innovative features, and outstanding audio performance. As a part of KEF’s R Series, the R7 is built upon the brand’s extensive expertise in loudspeaker engineering, delivering a remarkable audio experience that captivates audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts alike.
At the heart of the KEF R7’s brilliance is its Uni-Q driver array. This proprietary technology places the 1-inch vented aluminum dome tweeter concentrically within the 6.5-inch aluminum cone midrange driver, creating a single point source for sound dispersion. The Uni-Q array ensures a more coherent and precise audio reproduction, resulting in exceptionally detailed and immersive soundstaging. With reduced interference between drivers, the R7 achieves a seamless integration between high and mid frequencies, eliminating the “sweet spot” limitations often encountered with traditional speakers.
The R7 also features two 6.5-inch low-frequency drivers to handle the bass duties. These drivers are designed using KEF’s Z-flex surround technology, which reduces distortion and enhances the driver’s excursion capabilities. This translates into deep, tight, and articulate bass performance, ensuring that the speaker delivers a well-balanced sound across the entire frequency spectrum.
KEF’s unique technology doesn’t stop with the drivers. The R7 incorporates the “Shadow Flare” trim ring around the Uni-Q driver, which reduces diffraction and enhances the clarity of midrange frequencies. This innovation minimizes unwanted resonances, ensuring the speaker maintains its high-level audio accuracy.
The build quality of the KEF R7 is equally impressive. The cabinet is constructed from high-density fiberboard (HDF), which significantly reduces resonance and cabinet coloration. Additionally, the R7’s cabinet design employs internal bracing, enhancing rigidity and further reducing vibrations that could affect sound performance. These engineering advancements ensure that the speaker remains remarkably transparent, faithfully reproducing audio without introducing coloration or distortion.
The aesthetics of the KEF R7 are tastefully refined, with a choice of elegant finishes that complement any decor. The speaker’s sleek and modern design exudes a sense of sophistication, making it an appealing addition to any high-end audio setup.
Overall, the KEF R7 tower speaker stands out as a testament to the brand’s dedication to innovation and excellence in audio engineering. Its Uni-Q driver array, Z-flex surround technology, and Shadow Flare trim ring contribute to its exceptional sound performance. Coupled with its top-notch build quality and elegant design, the R7 offers an unrivaled audio experience that justifies its status as a leading choice for those seeking the pinnacle of sound reproduction in a home theater or hi-fi setup.
|Drivers||1″ Tweeter (1), 5″ Midrange (1), 6 1/2″ Woofers (2)|
|Power Handling (RMS)||250 watts|
|Frequency Response||48 – 28,000 Hz|
- Uni-Q Driver Array: The Uni-Q concentric driver technology delivers precise and coherent sound, resulting in exceptional soundstaging and immersive audio experience.
- High-Quality Bass: The two 6.5-inch low-frequency drivers with Z-flex surround technology provide deep, tight, and articulate bass performance.
- Reduced Resonance: The Shadow Flare trim ring and internal bracing minimize unwanted resonances and cabinet coloration, ensuring transparent and accurate audio reproduction.
- Build Quality: Constructed with high-density fiberboard (HDF) and advanced internal bracing, the R7’s cabinet is rigid and minimizes vibrations, enhancing overall sound quality.
- Elegant Design: The speaker’s sleek and modern design, along with a variety of finish options, allows it to blend seamlessly with various interior aesthetics.
- Price: As a high-end speaker, the KEF R7 is in the higher price range, which might be a consideration for budget-conscious buyers.
- Amplifier Matching: While the R7 can work with a wide range of amplifiers, to fully realize its potential, it is recommended to pair it with high-quality amplification.
- Personal Preference: As with any speaker, individual sound preferences may vary, and some listeners might prefer a different sound signature.
Best Tower Speaker for Bass
- Power handling: up to 200W RMS (per speaker)
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Frequency response: 48-28k Hz
Bowers & Wilkins 603 Quick Review
The Bowers & Wilkins 603 is a standout tower speaker that has received widespread acclaim for its advanced technology, impressive features, and exceptional audio performance. As a part of Bowers & Wilkins’ 600 Series, the 603 exemplifies the brand’s commitment to delivering high-fidelity sound and innovation.
One of the key technologies that make the Bowers & Wilkins 603 great is its Decoupled Double Dome tweeter. This unique design features a separate aluminum dome tweeter, decoupled from the main cabinet with a gel-filled cavity. This setup isolates the tweeter from vibrations generated by the bass drivers, reducing distortion and ensuring detailed and precise high-frequency reproduction. The result is a smooth, extended, and immersive treble performance that remains consistent even at higher listening volumes.
The 603 also incorporates two 6.5-inch Continuum cone midrange drivers, which have been engineered to deliver a rich and clear midrange response. Bowers & Wilkins’ Continuum cone technology offers a unique composite construction that minimizes unwanted resonances, enabling the drivers to provide exceptional vocal clarity and instrument reproduction.
In terms of bass performance, the 603 utilizes a pair of 6.5-inch Aerofoil Profile bass drivers. These drivers are designed to provide powerful and controlled bass, leveraging Aerofoil cone technology borrowed from Bowers & Wilkins’ flagship speakers. The Aerofoil Profile cones ensure accurate bass response with minimal distortion, offering a solid foundation to the overall soundstage.
The build quality of the Bowers & Wilkins 603 is also noteworthy. The cabinet is crafted with high-quality materials and advanced construction techniques to reduce resonance and enhance audio accuracy. Additionally, the speaker’s minimalist design with clean lines and a choice of elegant finishes adds a touch of sophistication to any listening environment.
The 603 also benefits from Bowers & Wilkins’ years of research and development in speaker technology, including insights gained from their high-end models. This trickle-down approach allows the 603 to inherit advanced features from the brand’s flagship speakers, making it a great choice for audiophiles seeking premium sound performance without the premium price tag.
Overall, the Bowers & Wilkins 603 tower speaker stands as a testament to the brand’s expertise in speaker design and engineering. Its Decoupled Double Dome tweeter, Continuum cone midrange drivers, Aerofoil Profile bass drivers, and overall build quality contribute to its exceptional audio performance. Whether for music enthusiasts or home theater setups, the 603 offers a captivating and detailed sound experience that justifies its position as a top-tier choice in the realm of tower speakers.
|Make||Bowers & Wilkins|
|Model||603 Anniversary Edition|
|Drivers||1″ Tweeter (1), 6″ Midrange (1), 6 1/2″ Woofers (2)|
|Power Handling (RMS)||200 watts|
|Frequency Response||48 – 28,000 Hz|
- Decoupled Double Dome Tweeter: The isolated tweeter design ensures precise and detailed high-frequency reproduction with reduced distortion.
- Continuum Cone Midrange Drivers: The midrange drivers deliver clear and rich vocals, providing exceptional instrument reproduction and vocal clarity.
- Aerofoil Profile Bass Drivers: The bass drivers offer powerful and controlled bass performance with minimal distortion, creating a solid foundation for the overall sound.
- High-Quality Build: The speaker’s cabinet is constructed with premium materials and advanced techniques to reduce resonance and enhance audio accuracy.
- Trickle-Down Technology: The 603 inherits advanced features from Bowers & Wilkins’ flagship speakers, offering high-end sound performance at a more accessible price.
- Price: As a premium tower speaker, the Bowers & Wilkins 603 is in the higher price range, which might be a consideration for budget-conscious buyers.
- Amplifier Matching: While the 603 is compatible with a wide range of amplifiers, to fully realize its potential, it is recommended to pair it with high-quality amplification.
- Preference for Sound Signature: As with any speaker, personal sound preferences may vary, and some listeners might prefer a different audio profile.
Runner Up, Best Value Tower Speaker
SVS Ultra Tower Quick Review
The SVS Ultra Tower is a standout floor-standing speaker that has garnered widespread praise for its advanced technology, impressive features, and exceptional audio performance. As part of SVS’s Ultra Series, the Ultra Tower exemplifies the brand’s commitment to delivering high-end sound quality and innovation.
One of the key technologies that sets the SVS Ultra Tower apart is its proprietary SVS Uniforce™ driver array. This innovative design features a dual 8-inch composite glass-fiber cone woofer paired with a 4.5-inch midrange driver. The Uniforce™ array optimizes the driver’s motor force and suspension, ensuring precise control and reducing distortion even at high playback levels. This results in a clean and impactful bass response, as well as a smooth and natural midrange, allowing for a highly immersive and detailed listening experience.
The Ultra Tower also boasts a high-performance 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter with a FEA-optimized diffuser. This tweeter is designed to deliver crisp and extended high frequencies, providing accurate sound imaging and a wide soundstage. The precision-engineered diffuser enhances the tweeter’s dispersion characteristics, ensuring consistent and smooth off-axis response for a more forgiving listening experience.
The speaker’s cabinet design is also a testament to SVS’s commitment to excellence. The Ultra Tower’s rigid and acoustically inert cabinet is constructed with a double-thick MDF baffle and internal bracing, which significantly reduces cabinet resonance and unwanted vibrations. This attention to build quality ensures that the speaker remains transparent and faithful to the source material, preserving the audio’s integrity.
The Ultra Tower’s design doesn’t just prioritize performance; it also reflects a sophisticated aesthetic. With its elegant black piano gloss finish and contemporary lines, the speaker exudes a sense of refinement that complements any upscale audio setup or home theater environment.
In addition to its advanced technology and exceptional build quality, the SVS Ultra Tower excels in offering versatility. The bi-amp and bi-wire speaker terminals allow users to experiment with different configurations and amplification options, tailoring the sound to their specific preferences and audio system requirements.
Overall, the SVS Ultra Tower is a standout floor-standing speaker that embodies the brand’s commitment to excellence in audio engineering. Its Uniforce™ driver array, precision tweeter, acoustically inert cabinet, and elegant design combine to create an exceptional audio experience. Whether used for music or home theater applications, the Ultra Tower’s immersive soundstage, detailed imaging, and powerful bass performance make it an ideal choice for discerning audiophiles seeking a top-tier tower speaker that delivers a true high-fidelity sound experience.
|Drivers||1″ Tweeter (1), 6 1/2″ Midrange (2), 8″ Woofers (2)|
|Power Handling (RMS)||300 watts|
|Frequency Response||28 – 32,000 Hz|
- SVS Uniforce™ Driver Array: The dual woofer and midrange driver design ensures precise control and reduced distortion, delivering clean and impactful bass and a smooth midrange response.
- High-Performance Tweeter: The 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter with a FEA-optimized diffuser provides crisp and extended high frequencies, contributing to accurate sound imaging and a wide soundstage.
- Rigid Cabinet Design: The double-thick MDF baffle and internal bracing reduce cabinet resonance and unwanted vibrations, maintaining transparency and audio accuracy.
- Elegant Aesthetic: The black piano gloss finish and contemporary lines give the Ultra Tower a sophisticated and refined look, blending well with upscale audio setups and home theater environments.
- Versatility: The bi-amp and bi-wire speaker terminals offer flexibility in configuration and amplification, allowing users to tailor the sound to their preferences and system requirements.
- Price: As a high-end speaker, the SVS Ultra Tower is in the higher price range, which might be a consideration for budget-conscious buyers.
- Amplification: While the Ultra Tower is compatible with a wide range of amplifiers, to fully exploit its capabilities, high-quality amplification is recommended.
- Personal Preference: As with any speaker, individual sound preferences may vary, and some listeners might prefer a different audio profile.
Best Floorstanding Tower Speakers | What to Look For
Before you browse through our list of speakers, there’s a few things you should pay attention to. The most obvious, and maybe the most important, is the speaker’s power handling. You’ll need to align the RMS power handling to that of your receiver or amp. But, you should also consider a few other things:
Binding Posts: Let’s start by defining what binding posts are, and why they’re important. Binding posts are the ways you can connect speaker wire to the speakers themselves. You’ll notice some speakers have 3 binding posts, some have five, some less. The more binding posts on your speaker, the more options you have to connect speaker wire to the speakers.
Material is also important when looking at binding posts. The better the material, the higher the conductivity. This means better power signal and sound quality. You’ll notice that many speakers have gold-plated binding posts. Gold is one of the optimal materials used because it conducts electricity so well.
Driver Size: The larger the speakers/drivers, the more likely the tower is able to produce bass. Similar to cars, drivers that are 8” or larger are ideal for reproducing the lower frequencies and bass. So if you’re looking for a floor speaker that’ll cover the low frequencies, make sure the drivers are large enough.
Tower speakers, also known as floor-standing speakers, are large, freestanding speakers designed to deliver full-range sound. Unlike bookshelf speakers that require a separate stand or surface, tower speakers come with built-in stands, making them ideal for standalone use without additional mounting or support.
Tower speakers have several advantages:
Enhanced Bass: Their larger cabinet size allows for more significant bass drivers, resulting in deeper and more powerful low-end performance.
Greater Soundstage: The extra cabinet space can house multiple drivers, facilitating better sound dispersion and wider soundstage.
Room Presence: Tower speakers’ size and design make them visually appealing, adding a presence to any home audio setup.
Power rating, measured in watts, indicates how much power a speaker can handle. While it’s essential to have a power rating that matches your amplifier’s capabilities, focusing solely on wattage can be misleading. Instead, consider the overall sensitivity and impedance of the speakers, as they play a more significant role in determining efficiency and compatibility.
It depends on the specific model and personal preference. Many tower speakers, particularly those with larger drivers and well-designed cabinets, can deliver satisfying bass on their own. However, for enthusiasts seeking a more impactful low-end, adding a dedicated subwoofer can enhance the overall audio experience and complement the tower speakers’ performance.
Placing tower speakers is crucial for getting the best sound performance:
Keep Them Away from Walls: Position the speakers away from walls to minimize bass resonance and achieve better sound dispersion.
Toe-In: Angle the speakers slightly towards the listening position to improve imaging and sound focus.
Room Acoustics: Consider room acoustics and use acoustic treatments if necessary to reduce reflections and improve sound clarity.
Yes, tower speakers are versatile and excel in both music and home theater applications. Their full-range sound capabilities and wide soundstage make them an excellent choice for music enthusiasts, while their robust bass and detailed audio reproduction enhance the cinematic experience in home theater setups.
Comments are closed.